Thursday, April 19, 2007

War of The Worlds

Hmmm… How do you write the review of a movie that you shouldn’t reveal too much for you to truly enjoy the show? This is exactly what Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise had in mind when they market the movie. Notice that there aren’t much advertisements for this movie. The trailer is kept short and simple, and they show their 2 most important assets: Spielberg’s name and Tom Cruise face. And a catchy title sure helps.





Well, I hate movies with little or no emphasis on logic and directors who do not pay attention to details. However, I love Spielberg and Tom. They have never failed to entertain me. I received bad reviews before I watched this movie. But then I thought Spielberg cannot be that bad. Well, let’s just say the story sucks. Big time. It seems like the world died except for Tom Cruise and his family. Wherever they were going, it seems like they were the only people around.





How come no one else when that way? Not one single person in the whole catastrophic town goes/swim/walk that way?” you’ll find yourself asking questions like this. How come cameras still work when everything else is broken down? How the hell did the son survived? These are only some questions that Spielberg care not to answer. There are tons of them along the way… from the beginning till the end. And some of the people left the theater without understanding what Morgan Freeman was narrating about. Well, as my movie partner says, “Why do they always use him as the narrator? He has such a boring voice.” Ha ha.





But that’s about the only boring parts of the movie, the narration. Besides that and the illogical storyline, the effects are really superb. In fact it kept me at the edge of my seat and my adrenalin pumping the whole 2 hours of the show. I risk having prostate problems just for this show as I don’t want to miss a single second of the special effects. Yes it was the CGI that I didn’t want to miss. It’s like every other second, a new effect was coming. I really lost myself in the movie and there are some scenes which are quite disturbing and warrant some self reflection. Scenes like how humans can become overwhelmed by fear and is capable of killing each other just to protect their own/families’ lives really hits hard on me. The casts, especially the little girl (Dakota Fanning) are good, but has no serious impact on the show. It’s the effects that should make it successful.





Well, the only explanation I have for Spielberg’s not letting Robbie (Tom is NOT Robbie... who is he? Well, you have to watch to find out) die is because he wants to make it a U-rated family movie. And they don’t show gory killing scenes but be prepared for a lot of blood… hahaha… But watch it for the special effects. My RM10 is well spent. Just forget logic and assume that everyone else is hiding in their basement for 2 hours… Well, I didn’t mind missing 5 minutes of Star wars to go to the ladies, but I risked a urinary tract infection for WOTW. Hmm.. the title of the movie is just to lure you to watch the movie. It’s not really a war, more of an invasion… of what?? Well, go watch the movie to find out. Wont be fun if I told you.. J

















No comments: