Friday, June 1, 2007

Muzikal Cheng Lock


Apa Khabar, Buat Bertenang.... :)

You can't believe that I went for a musical, eh? Neither can I. Not because I don't like all these arty farty stuffs, but I just can't believe that I can ever find someone to watch them with me. Most think that they are a torture and so I spare them the agony....

Anyway, I didn't know my sister (yeah, I don't even know my own sister, how terrible of me!) was interested in works of art until today when she asked me if I wanted to go for Muzical Cheng Lock. Amazingly surprised at the sudden invitation, but I immediately jumped at the opportunity, even though the show was 8:30pm tonight.

This historical musical is extremely good in making the boring history subject an interesting one. Filled with catchy music and nicely choreographed dances coupled with experienced dancers and singers, this musical makes a very good entertainment composition with educational contents.

Muzikal Cheng Lock is an autobiography of Tun Tan Cheng Lock's life and his contributions to MCA and the Chinese in Malaysia. The musical takes the audience from his birth into a Peranakan family, to the rise of the Chinese baba and nyonyas in Malacca, right into his courtship, marriage, and indulgence into politics and finally his self sacrificial fights for Malaysian Independence.

For those who are not sure who Tun Tan Cheng Lock is, he is one of the Malaysian forefathers who was responsible for :

1) helping Chinese immigrants to achieve the Malaysian Citizenship,
2) setting up MCA (he became the first President of MCA)
3) helping Malaysia to achieve Independence (Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka!)

I've not see many musicals, but this one is quite elaborate with cleverly designed props and lightings, very well rehearsed dancers (who was very good at expressing their feelings through their songs and body movements. I was especially amazed at the "pause and resume" movements, and their slow motion dances...), and very well researched actors and actresses. Veteren actors such as Kenji Sawahii, Louisa Chong, and Jalaludin Hasan, completes the fun yet historical presentation (note: although I recognised these people from local dramas, this production really surpasses any local drama that I have seen) . And of course, they were so good at singing that I thought it was lip-synced at first... Oh, and not forgetting, the 5-star, state-of-the-art theatre/stage that Istana Budaya houses makes this musical a completely enjoyable and fulfilling experience.
You have got to watch this musical to really appreciate the quality of the performance. Catch it before it draws its curtains for good. There are 2 shows left, tomorrow (Saturday, 2 June 2007 at 8:30pm and Sunday, 3 June at 8:30pm. Prices of tickets are extremely reasonable at RM20, RM30 and RM50. (And, you may get a free upgrade if you are lucky.... guess we were very lucky.. :-))

Oh, I am not sure if refreshments are served everyday, but there was a party thrown by MCA tonight and they served us nasi lemak, some kuihs, some fruits and very good Nescafe.... burpp..... hehehe...


Have a nice weekend at this meaningful historical musical ....


Note: Pictures courtesy of Istana Budaya (from www.istanabudaya.gov.my)

No comments: